Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Tomato Tally

After a slow start, the tomatoes are finally beginning to take off. It's been 7 weeks since I planted and here's where we're at:

I counted 25 tomatoes on the Jet Stars and 33 on the Romas, both with lots of flowers in the works. The Big Boys aren't doing quite so well... on a total of 6 plants, I counted 16 tomatoes and there are very few flowers. A few of the BB plants also have yellowing leaves at the bottom. ;(

The plants seem a little 'stunted' compared to previous years which could be partially due to me forgetting to add the slow release fertilizer granules to the soil before planting this spring. I had also pinched off a bunch of sucker leaves early on and maybe got a little carried away.

I've since let the suckers be, and to make up for the lack of fertilizer, I have given them a couple shots of 'worm poop' http://www.terracycle.org/all_purpose_2l.htm/ , a few banana peels and a watered down dose of Miracle Grow. Not all at the same time of course, but not on a regular basis either. Although they're nowhere near the height and bushiness of previous years, it looks like I might end up with a respectable yield after all.

Stay tuned for future updates.

No comments: