Sunday, August 3, 2008

Rooting the Runners

8/24 Update - separated 'baby' plants from 'mom'

To my surprise, the hanging strawberry basket I purchased at the Regional Market this spring has produced some of the sweetest strawberries I've ever tasted. Since my plan is to build a raised strawberry bed next spring anyways (just have to figure out where to put it), thought I'd try to root some of the runners. Not being quite sure about the best way to do this, I checked out various articles online and decided to use the advice from this site as a guide: http://www.gardenhive.com/fruit/strawberries/grow/runners/

I potted 20 of the best looking runners this morning and the picnic table (aka: Linda's Garden Bench) now looks like a mini strawberry patch.

In a few weeks, the roots should be pretty well established and I'll be able to snip their lifeline to the mother plant.

No comments: