Thursday, August 14, 2008

You must 'think of the children'....

First off, I'll be the first to admit that I am way behind where I probably should be in my knowledge of politics and history. I personally hated them back in school, and have only recently, due to the current political environment in the USA, developed an interest in them. Better late than never I suppose.

So here's the deal - something snapped in me about a month ago and just hearing the phrases 'For the children' or 'Think of the children' now makes my blood boil. It doesn't seem like a day goes by anymore without some politician proposing another piece of legislation that will 'save/protect our children'. I wonder if this is a relatively new movement or have I just been oblivious to it all these years? Anywho, I decided to do a little research on Google tonight and came across the following quote -

"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."

In my opinion, this pretty much sums up what has been going on. Now, being a newcomer to this whole history thing - I had never seen this quote before tonight and wouldn't have been able to tell you who said it.

Do you know? Here's a clue...
Source: Mein Kampf; the Ralph Manheim translation published by Houghton-Mifflin, 1943. pg 403.

Still not sure - click on the link to discover the author...
http://www.crusader.net/texts/mk/

For more perspective on this issue, please check out this well written post at the blog - What is Going On?: http://swfreedomlover.wordpress.com/2008/05/01/for-the-children-overused-and-abused-manipulation/

No comments: